Tuesday, February 22, 2005

 

Scottish Top 50 - Jesus Mog Run

A liddle bidda traditional Scottish Rock for you with Runrig. A tad too bland for my liking, although I'm sure I saw them at some Edinburgh Hogmanay do thingie years back. Don't remember much of it. Mogwai really do stand apart and it's a crying shame they only got about 30 seconds on TV the other night on the Tsunami benefit highlights show. Initially considered by some to be unlistenable due to excess guitar feedback, the superb Jesus and Mary Chain still sound as good today as they did, oh, what is it, about fifty years ago now...

21. Runrig - Loch Lomond
20. Mogwai - Hunted by a Freak
19. Jesus and Mary Chain - Some Candy Talking
Comments:
Did I ever tell you that my first live engagement was fronting a band called Bullwinkle at the tender age of 17, October 94? On the bass, Dominic Mogwai, and on the sound, Herr Kapranos himsel'! Strange but true. Unfortunately, there were no ballads about Pigeons in them days, otherwise their careers could have been markedly different...
 
that is a top piece of trivia there sir. Here's another: My youngest son's music teacher used to be the drummer for Franz but left before they got big, thinking they were going nowhere. Not the best of career moves there, I'd say. Although, maybe he finds teaching young brats at Glenrothes High School more soul-edifying than being stupidly rich and being adored by millions.
 
och aye, for every mott the hipple there's a pete b(r)est...

tell barclay i've no bother getting on this thing, by the way!
 
Argh - I went on vacation and missed the JAMC song. I thought my collection was pretty extensive, but I don't have Some Candy Talking. Was it pre-Psychocandy? The artwork looks like it's from the Darklands era. Any chance you'll repost? *beg*
 
Dan

I'll get back to you on that. It was Some Candy Talking. I don't have it here right now, but I'll repost it next week - just for you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?